Sunday, January 07, 2007

Want a sample?

It is probably way too late for me to be writing anything but I'm going to give it a shot.

Some random thoughts on Supermarkets, samples, and food. My friends, the Sherks, are the only friends I know that call the grocery store the "Market". I thought about that this weekend while I was handing out samples at Walmart. I get to think about a lot of things while I'm at Walmart. I actually wasn't even bored these last three days. I realize (many times, actually) that I need to eat healthier. Sometimes I give samples of things that are fairly nutritous and have some sort of redeeming quality about them. Then there are times when I give out samples of Hamburger Helper Microwave Singles. I bet you're wondering if they have meat in them already. You bet they do. Yummy, freeze dried meat. Now, that's nutrition! Don't forget the yummy powdered cheese. Did I mention that there are two grams Trans Fat? I always want people to stock up on whatever I'm giving samples of but I'll have to admit it was a little sad today. Now Americans have one more shortcut for there fast paced life and one more thing that makes them less and less healthy. Parents were constantly picking up a couple boxes saying, " My kid will love this!" "Get 'em some carrots or something instead, dude", I want to say. Then there's another part of me that wants everyone to try my samples no matter what. I start getting pissed when people tell me "no". I'm like,"Would you like to try a sample?" And they're like,"No thank you." And I want to say,"Try the sample, damn it!" I was really proud the other day when kids were picking the broccoli and cheese sauce over the yogurt. I make no claims on which was truly healthier but the thought does count. Anyways, while I was at work I also decided that I need to exersize more. I'm not going to watch t.v. unless I have excersized for that day. I guess that's a good note to end on. I'm glad I give out samples. It's easy money, good money and it's fun!

15 comments:

Jason Hill said...

Nice. I've never actually known someone who gives out samples, but I think of questions to ask them quite often.

Now I know that refusing their sample, even if politely, is not nice. Those are real people under those hairnets, (do you wear a hairnet?), and they have feelings.

I will change my ways.

BTW, how do you feel when you are serving something yummy and run out, and people line up for the next batch?

arwen said...

I'm responsible for samples as well. Only, I look for a big group of *coughstupidloudobnoxiouscough* teenagers to unload on and then I can go home.

Jess said...

I rarely get the samples at the store....for a couple reasons.
a). Most things they hand out at places like walmart I would rather not put into my body.
b). I am usually allergic to most everything anyone hands out.

I actually feel bad telling people no sometimes. Sometimes people really do give me dirty looks (I want to tell them I am allergic, but who really goes into that. So I have started taking the samples adn either throwing them away later (which eats at my conscience to throw away food for no reason), or I give it to my husband (Because he has no problem what-so-ever eatting whatever people hand out).

p.s. All though I will say I love the juice samples at Wild Oats. Fresh Squeezed OJ...MMMMM.

arwen said...

haha... you would not belive how many people are allergic to pumpkin and maple. Yeah. Seriously. "Would you like to try a Pumpkin Spice Latte?"
"Oh... sorry... I'm allergic to pumpkin"
"would you like to try a Maple Macchiatto?"
"oh... I'm allergic to maple"
are you kidding me... just say you don't want it.

tara said...

if someone handed out a milk sample i would have to say, "im allergic to milk".
but that would be the dumbest sample ever...unless it was chocolatey, i guess.

arwen said...

haha! at starbucks we are prepared for you and we pretty regularly have soy samples. Lactose intolerant? allergic to maple AND pumpkin? Why don't you try our new sugar free cinnamon dolce soy no whip latte? It's sure to warm the most intolerant of bowels...

i love sample.

tara said...

oh believe me i know, i often order the toffee nut latte with soy....but do you ever offer just soy or milk, with no toffee or nuts or lattes?

Jen said...

I don't wear a hairnet. It's more of a hair cover... Or a huge black cap. Either really. It really is a great feeling when they line up. One funny thing is you can tell when people come to get a sample because everyone and their mom are getting a sample and they just want to go along with whatever everyone else is doing. T, I guess you won't be able to have the yogurt I'm sampling tomorrow! It has milk... or leche, if you will.

Jen said...

Samples yesterday were torturous! I was back in the refrigerated section and it was cold and raining so not many people felt like coming to Walmart and the people who did come were stinkers and didn't want to eat my food. I just kept throwing food away 'cause it kept getting cold. Today I can't go to work because an ice storm came through and I'm stuck in Abilene and won't be able to be home for my daughter's birthday tomorrow! Ah, Fu Cryin' out loud. Why'd I have to give out samples this weekend. Not much good it did me!

tara said...

i like when you call them "stinkers". its funny.

Jen said...

I also should clarify that it was cold in my part of the store and raining outside the store, not inside!

Ashes said...

I am your stalker cousin. I like to read... I don't like to write. I hope your family is doing well. Happy 2007.

Jen said...

I like you stalker cousin! Maybe I can see Lola since she's, like, a teenager almost, someday.

Kaydub said...

I think all you guys are funny writers, like stalker stinkers, and chocolatey bowels, and leche if you will. Even saying "its funny" is funny. I rather like us. We amuse me. I choose us. (What movie? What movie?)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jen,
"Market" is a Pennsylvania term that I inherited from my parents. Trudi says her parents too.